Please note that as of July / Aug 2015, Ton Son Nhat Airport will begin their upgarde. So everything here will eventually change……….we will update when we can or if you see something worthy, please let us know via the comments below!
Flights to Saigon arrive at Ton Son Nhat Airport (International and domestic). Approx. 30 / 40 minute taxi ride from District 1 and the Backpacker Area.
The entry process into Vietnam is very simple and easy. Read below for the basics!
- Follow the crowds and signs for “arrivals”, from here you have two options, depending on your visa.
- Visa on Arrival – follow the signs to the Visa On Arrival counter and join the line! Make sure you have your passport, correct money for fee and always keep a pen handy. You WILL have to fill in forms!
- Have Visa Already – Skip above and read on below!
- Once you have your visa, head to the Immigration counters (long line of 30 or so counters) and get stamped into Vietnam. Push forward and downstairs to collect bags. From here,your bags get x-rayed with the custom officials and out the door!
- Taxi stand is just down to the left as you exit – look for the signs. We recommend Vinasun or Mai Linh taxi’s. Both of which have company rep’s at the taxi stand who can assist with getting a taxi. (Vinasun – dark green shirt / Mai Linh – bright green shirts).
Arriving into Saigon on domestic flights is super simple, but remember to keep hold of the baggage tag you get when checking in, Airline staff will check it against your collected bags!
- Follow the signs to baggage collection, collect and walk outside after showing your baggage tag to the airline staff.
- Taxi can be found outside and again, company rep’s for both Vinasun and Mai Linh taxi’s can assist in getting cab’s.
Pre- Arranged Transfers
If you have arranged an airport transfer to your hotel, drivers will meet you immediately outside the terminal (International or Domestic) where you exit. It does get very busy, so just look for a sign with your name it!
Saigon Train Station is located in District 3, half way between the airport and District 1. On arrival, simply head out the of terminal and you will see plenty of taxi’s waiting. Again we recommend Vinasun or Mai Linh Taxi’s. The drive to District 1 or the Backpacker Area is approx 15/20 mins depending on traffic.
Buses from the north and those traveling from Cambodia, generally drop off in Pham Ngu Lao Street – aka The Backpacker Area. If you’re staying in this area most hotels / guesthouses are a few minutes walk away .
If you’re staying in District 1 or elsewhere, taxi’s are a plenty in the area and will get you to D1 in just a few minutes, for only a couple of dollars (metered taxi).
- We recommend Vinasun and Mai Linh Taxis, both metered and generally with good drivers, all dressed in shirt, pants and company tie.
- It’s always good to wrtie down the name of your hotel and address (or your destination), most drivers will not speak English. Business cards are even better!
- Taxis from the airport must pay a fee on exit, you the passenger will be charged this ontop of the taxi fare – some applies for road tolls.
- Do not use drivers that roam the arrival area. Go to the taxi rank.